Becoming a Member
Waihora Ellesmere Trust is made up of over 100 members from all sectors of the community, and is governed by up to 15 trustees elected from the membership. You can download a membership form here (we have kept our fees the same for the last few years so this is still the current form).
As a member you will be supporting the work of the Trust. This includes:
- Publishing the Te Waihora/Lake Ellesmere State of the Lake Reports (2013 & 2015)
- Organising and hosting biennial Living Lake Symposia, most recently in November 2015. Planning is well underway for the 2017 symposium
- Working with the Living Water partnership (DOC and Fonterra) to improve water quality and biodiversity in the Ararira/LII catchment
- With the Department of Conservation, BirdsNZ and others, coordinating an annual wetland bird survey of the lake
- The Green Footprint project – a restoration partnership between WET, YHA and SDC. 2014 saw the tenth community planting event organised as part of this initiative
- The Sustainable Drain Management project, which has collated information about sustainable drain management practices and provided support and advice to local landowners/farmers.
- Supporting the Kids Discovery Plantout (led by TAK) – working with local schools to encourage hands on involvement in environmental restoration and a greater awareness and understanding of the lake and associated issues
- Ensuring links with other projects and organisations working in the catchment, for example, we work closely with the Whakaora Te Waihora Joint Cultural and Ecological Restoration project (ECan and Ngai Tahu), the Department of Conservation, Fonterra, Te Ara Kakariki and many others
- Facilitating Te Waihora Agencies Group, a high level group of representatives from all of the statutory agencies involved in catchment management plus some organisations with an ongoing interest in catchment processes and restoration initiatives – the aim is to foster a more integrated approach to management of the Te Waihora catchment
- Member (key advisor) of the Lake Opening Protocol Group
By becoming a member of the Trust you will be part of a team, helping us to make a positive contribution to Te Waihora/Lake Ellesmere and its catchment. You will
- Receive newsletters (also available on the website)
- Have speaking and voting rights at our AGM or special meetings
- Be able to be on WET committees and get involved in projects
- Be eligible for election to the Trust Board
- Have opportunities to access information and resources
- Be able to take part in events, workshops and seminars, some of which may be limited to members
WET’s membership year is from July 1 to June 30
Individual Adult: $25
Junior (under 16yrs): $5
We can accept payments by cheque or cash or you are welcome to pay using internet banking. Contact the office for details.
In addition to becoming a member, we also welcome donations and, as we are a Charitable Trust, a tax rebate can be claimed on donations of over $5.
Donations will contribute towards projects WET is involved with. For example, our Living Lake Research Fund can provide assistance to local groups or individuals undertaking monitoring or research which will help us to understand more about the state of the lake and catchment and your donations will enable to assist more projects.
To join or make a donation please download and complete the WET Membership form and email or post it to:
PO Box 198
Tai Tapu 7645
email to firstname.lastname@example.org
last updated September 2016